Saturday, July 28, 2012

CHRIST AS YOUR EXAMPLE


“Am I like Him in my thoughts and in the way I spend my time? If He were physically living on earth right now, would He do what I am doing?
The good soldier follows his platoon leader only when he himself marches after his captain. Paul commands, "Be followers of me, even as I also am of Christ" 1 Corinthians 11:1.
A doctrine (teaching) must be followed no further than it agrees with God's Word. The teacher of handwriting not only provides ruled paper for the student but also writes him a copy in his own hand. Christ's command is our rule and His life is our copy. If you want to live a holy life you must not only do what Jesus commands; you must do it as He did. You must shape every letter in your copy-- each action in your life-- in a holy imitation of Christ. By holiness we are the living image of God's Son, representing Christ and holding Him forth to all who see us.
Now two things make one thing an image of another-- first, likeness; and second, source. Milk and snow are both white but we cannot say they are images of each other because in neither is the likeness derived from the other. But a picture which is drawn line by line of a man's face can be called the image of that person. Thus true holiness is derived from God's Son, when the person sets Christ in His word and Christ in His example before him.
What a sweet way to keep the power of holiness! When you are tempted to walk toward vanity, look at Christ's holy walk and ask yourself, "Am I like Him in my thoughts and in the way I spend my time? If He were physically living on earth right now, would He do what I am doing? Would He not choose His words more carefully than I do? Would silly speech come from His lips? Would He enjoy my friends? Would He spend a fortune pampering His body, and swallow enough food at one meal to feed hungry people for a week? Would He be fashion-conscious, even if that made His appearance ridiculous and offensive? Would His hands be busy with games that drive time away? Should I do anything that would make me unlike Christ?"
Quoted material from, ”The Christian in Complete Armour Daily Readings in Spiritual Warfare” by Gurnall and James S Bell. http://www.moodypublishers.com/pub_productDetail.aspx?id=41823&pid=53617

No comments: