Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Meditating in the Watches of the Night


Meditating in the Watches of the Night, Psalm 63:5-8
5 My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,
and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
6 when I think of you on my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
7 for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me. NRSV


The material below is from “A Year With God,’ by Dr Richard Foster.
Psalm 63 calls especially for focused attention on God. Far from being boring or a chore, the singer finds the experience to be one of joy. When the disciple looks upon God, thinks of Him, and meditates on Him, his “soul is satisfied as with a feast.”

‘Have you found your meditative prayer practice to be joyful?
Only to sit and think of God,
Oh what a joy it is!
To think the thought, to breathe the Name
Earth has no higher bliss. By Frederick W. Faber

No comments: